(July 1, 1920-April 1, 1941)

NORTH End: Camp Dodge, Johnston, Polk County

Monolithic brick road to connect Camp Dodge and the City of Des Moines
Monolithic brick pavement, 20 feet wide, with 6 feet of double course gravel on either side, making a 32 foot surface, is to connect the City of Des Moines with Camp Dodge, at the earliest possible date. This will not only be Iowa's first military road but it will be the finest stretch of rural pavement in the state.
Iowa Highway Commission Service Bulletin, September 1917

Winter puts stop to Army cantonment and federal aid brick and concrete road building
Contractors at Camp Dodge on the Merle Hay road, as the now famous cantonment road will hereafter be known ... fought their battle against cold and frost until Monday, December 3rd, when they gave up and went into their winter trenches. With the first signs of a break in the spring, they will be "over the top" with the final onslaught against the mud and ruts which has at times all but made the roads between Des Moines and the great army camp impassable.
When the last brick was laid on the afternoon of December 3rd, 11,800 feet, considerably more than two miles of surfacing had been completed of the 4 1/8 miles between the camp and the city limits. [Aurora Avenue -Ed.]
Iowa Highway Commission Service Bulletin, November-December 1917

The completed Merle Hay Road, which combined with the segment inside Des Moines offered 12 miles of brick, was dedicated on July 27, 1918.

SOUTH End (1): Des Moines, Polk County

Since 12th Street was west of downtown Des Moines, it probably got marked eastward on Grand Avenue, likely to 7th Street where Grand intersected IA 1. Panora Speedway officially ended on Grand at 5th Avenue, where (totally coincidentally, I'm sure) Huebinger's Iowa Publishing Co. was located. Today's intersection of 12th and Grand looks nothing like it would have then.

SOUTH End (2): IA 7, now Merle Hay Road at NW 62nd Ave., Johnston, Polk County

Johnston, now among the top 25 cities in Iowa by population, was founded in 1905 but wasn't officially incorporated until after the moon landing. Removing the redundant multiplex with IA 7 significantly shortened the route.

Page created 4/4/20

Back to index